Sunday, November 16, 2008

New Job!

So, I was offered a position at both hospitals. I did have formal interviews at both.

Hospital A (St. David's) continued to impress me. I met with the nurse educator, who is also the supervisor for the IMC. (intermediate care unit) She also lives in Hutto, which was cool. They are willing to be flexible and let me take a PRN (as needed) schedule on both ICU and IMC. This would allow me the time for training, and be put on the list for full time day shift. They seem more interested in doing the job right, than the aesthetics of the hospital. Not that the hospital is not appealing, it is, it is just not their main focus.

As suspected, Hospital B (Seton Hospital )is a very new facility. The unit is a combined ICU/IMC unit and you could have assignments in either at any given time. The director of the unit used the word "flexible" several times throughout the interview. This was a red flag for me. My translation of it: "We're very new and not fully staffed, so we need you to do whatever you are able to help us grow." Been there. Done that.

Needless to say, I turned down Seton and chose St. Davids. It is a bit further to travel, and about 0.13 cents less per hour, but I don't care. I think what I will learn and the service I can give to the patients (and not the hospital system) will be much more beneficial in the long run.

Thank you Lord for providing these opportunities. I pray that I can serve you well through this job.

No comments: